After planting my own, I’ve been in the lookout to learn how to correctly retrieve seeds for the next season.
It is in Spanish but here’s the summary:
- Pick the best tomato from the first harvest. Make sure it is from a strong plant not prone to decease. You want to keep the better one.
- Mark the chosen tomato so you don’t harvest it too early.
- The marked tomato needs to be left in the vine until is really ripe.
- Extract the seeds and let them ferment for 4 days so the membranes let them lose.
- Filter the fermented mix to get the seeds.
- Let them dry 4-5 days.
- Categorize and store the seeds in a dry place not exposed to extreme temperatures.