Bananas are plants from the tropics and subtropics, which grow rapidly and are easy to maintain if you’re just starting with your own organic garden at home .
Many choose to grow them by the properties of its fruit as food, since bananas are rich in potassium and magnesium, favoring the functioning of the cardiovascular and digestive system, and improve heart health. But others also do so because they admire the decorative features of the plant.
While some species can reach 15 meters high, you can choose dwarf varieties of between 2 and 4 meters, which cangrow in pots if you do not have a park or garden. This option, which allows you to have the plant inside your home, will also help if the temperature where you live is not very warm. Still, there are varieties with greater resistance to cold can also choose.
In this paper you will learn how to grow bananas in your home in simple steps. Dare to do and see that there is nothing more delicious than the fruits of your own harvest! Moreover, in doing so you will know that everything you consume is free from pesticides and other chemicals that could harm your health.
General Procedure for bananas grown in pots
1. When you start growing your banana plant, it should be done from a bulb or rhizome of a mother plant, which first must wash thoroughly with warm water to remove any fungi and bacteria.
2. Then choose a large container of about 50 centimeters in diameter, with holes in the bottom base to facilitate drainage. Possibly, you have to transplant it after a larger container. On the other hand, the land you choose will be light for the water to drain easily. You can also contribute to this by adding 20% perlite (siliceous crushed rock) will work aerating the soil and preventing root rot. Also seeks to add compost , to increase the amount of soil nutrients container.
3. Once you land you have inside your container, make a hole deep enough to fit comfortably in your seedling root or rhizome. Try to leave a layer of 2 to 3 centimeters above so that the roots are not left completely exposed to light.
4. If the plant receives proper care, you will see that soon begin to sprout cuttings. You can easily recognize your banana is healthy for the continued growth of its flowers (that appear around the sixth or seventh month, depending on the variety).
The harvest takes approximately 12 months from sowing when the bananas are still green, and throughout the year, they do not have a specific growing season. Then the fruits are left to ripen in a dark, closed, dry and warm place.
In the following video you will see step by step how to grow your banana plant on land, but the technique can also serve your container.
Care and recommendations for the banana plant
– Protect your plant from wind and cold in the hottest months can transport your banana plant abroad to strengthen and then in winter, take her inside to take care of low temperatures..
– The ideal for optimal banana growth temperature is between 25 ° and 28 °.
– Because of the large size of its leaves, the banana plant needs plenty of water and requires high humidity. Try to water two to three times a week to keep it properly.
Trick to achieve greater humidity: place small containers of water around the plant, because that will create moisture in the air and that will promote growth of bananas.
– To accelerate the growth process, rich in potassium fertilizers are recommended. Furthermore, it is preferable acidic soil with a pH from 5.5 to 6.5.
– As for the light, keep in mind that in nature are developed with indirect sunlight. You Need 12 hours of heat, which could also be replaced by artificial light inside the home.
– Periodically Rotate the container so that all parts of the plant is exposed to light in the same way.
– These plants are not very susceptible to pest invasions therefore you need little maintenance. You can help keep your plant healthy by washing the leaves with warm water and mild soap.